When YouTube can't complete the action you’ve taken, an error message may surface on your device. There are many root causes of error messages. Many are out of YouTube’s control, such as a bad internet connection or insufficient memory on your device.
Some of the most common error messages are:
- “Please check your network connection (Retry).”
- "Error loading. Tap to retry."
- “No Connection.”
- "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later."
- "400 Network Error."
Issues on smart TVs, streaming devices, & game consoles
If you’re using a smart TV, streaming devices, or game console, here are some steps you can take to try to fix common issues:
- Restart the YouTube app.
- Restart your device: Do a hard restart by disconnecting the power and then reconnecting.
- For game consoles: Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.
- Update your device’s firmware/system software.
If you’re on a computer, you may also notice these kinds of error messages:
- “500 Internal Server Error.”
- “Sorry, something went wrong.”
- “403 Error.”
- "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available."
Here are some steps you can take to try to fix the error.
- Reload the page.
- If you have numerous tabs open in your browser, try to close most of them except the one you’re using for YouTube.
- Restart your browser.
- Restart your router.
- Restart your computer.
- Update your browser to the latest version.
- Try to use a Chrome browser.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
- Delete the Chrome extension "YouTube Flash Video Player 57.0."
Other types of errors
Issues with YouTube Paid Products
If the above steps don’t work and you:
- Bought a movie or TV show on YouTube, OR
- Are an active paid member of YouTube Music, YouTube Premium, or YouTube TV
You can get in touch with us for support with purchases or memberships.
Sometimes content doesn’t violate our policies, but it may not be appropriate for viewers under 18. Age-restricted videos may not be viewable to users who:
- Are under 18 years of age
- Are signed out
- Are watching YouTube videos embedded on most third-party sites
Learn more about watching age-restricted videos.
Restricted Mode is an optional setting that screens out potentially mature content you or others using your devices may prefer not to view. When Restricted Mode is turned on, comments may not be viewable. You can turn Restricted mode on or off.
Issues downloading videos
If you don’t have YouTube Premium, or if downloading videos isn’t available to you, you can’t download videos. If you can download videos, but you’re running into issues, try some of these downloading troubleshooting tips.
Account error issues
If you’re running into issues with your account, these articles may have more info:
If these options don’t work and you’re still having trouble, let us know by submitting feedback.